Classic Lemon Meringue Pie certainly lives up to its name, as a classic American and oh-so-tasty dessert!
Classic Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe-
For the Crust-
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup shortening
- 3 tbsp. cold water
For the Filling-
- 1-1/4 cups granulated cane sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
For the Meringue-
- ½ cup granulated cane sugar, divided
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup cold water
- ¾ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 425° Fahrenheit.
- Combine the salt and flour in a small bowl, then cut in the shortening until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Gradually add in 3 tablespoons cold water, tossing the mixture with a fork until your dough forms into a ball.
- Roll the pastry dough out round and large enough to fit into the bottom and up the walls of a 9″ pie dish.
- Line the pie dish with the rolled out dough, trimmed to 1/2″ beyond the outer rim, then flute the edges.
- Bake the pie crust at 425° (Fahrenheit) for 13-15 minutes, or until lightly browned. After, turn the heat down to 350°. and leave the heat on.
- While the crust is baking, make your filling. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until the mixture us bubbly and well thickened.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook while stirring for another 2 minutes.
- Take the pan off the burner, and stir in a small amount of hot filling into the egg yolks, then return it all back into the pan, stirring continuously.
- Put the pan back on the burner, bring the mixture to a gentle boil, and cook, still stirring, for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, then gently stir in the lemon peel and butter. Then stir in lemon juice, little by little, until just combined. Pour the fully incorporated mixture into the crust.
- Now to make your meringue. Combine the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons sugar in a saucepan over medium-high, then gradually stir in the cold water. Cook, stirring, until the mixture is clear, then pour it into a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Beat the egg whites and vanilla in a large bowl with a hand held electric mixer, until soft peaks form. Now beat in the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat in cornstarch mixture with your mixer on high speed until glossy stiff peaks form and the sugar is all dissolved. Spread the meringue evenly over the lemon filling.
- Pop the assembled pie in the oven and bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until you see the meringue peaks turning a pleasing golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack (or other suitable surface) for 1 hour to room temperature, then refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Do not refrigerate while still hot! You will ruin the fluffy texture of your meringue. Leftovers will store well in the refrigerator.
- Yield: 6-8 servings of Classic Lemon Meringue Pie.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)