Filipino Coconut Beef Adobo is a classic dish from this country. Adobo can be made with or without without coconut, and also without meat (see Aubergine Adobo recipe). You can easily turn this recipe into Chicken Coconut Adobo, too, by simply substituting chunks of chicken for the beef.
Filipino Coconut Beef Adobo Recipe-
- 3 lbs. stewing beef (chuck roast is good), cut into 1-1/2” cubes
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 whole bulb of garlic, cloves peeled and crushed
- 1⁄2 cup ginger flavored soy sauce (important ingredient)
- 4 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 tbsp. whole black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp. freshly ground black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 4 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. patis (Philippine fish sauce), or more, to taste (important ingredient)
- 12 oz. coconut milk
- Using a large cooking pot, put in the beef cubes, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, bay leaves, sugar, ground pepper and whole peppercorns. Stir and blend all the ingredients together well.
- Allow the mixture to stand for 2 hours at room temperature and marinate. You can put it in the fridge, but the traditional Filipino way is at room temperature.
- After the marinating period, put the pot on the burner, turn the heat up high and bring the mixture to a vigorous boil, then reduce the heat to where the mixture is at a mild simmer, and cook for about an hour, or until the meat is well tenderized.
- Put the oil in a large skillet and raise the burner up to medium high temperature. Use a slotted spoon to take out the garlic from beef mixture, transfer the garlic to this skillet, and sauté until well browned. Use the slotted spoon to next add the beef to the skillet with the garlic, and continue to sauté, stirring, until the meat cubes are nicely browned on all sides.
- Now add in the patis, to taste, and the coconut milk, stir and blend together well.
- Lastly, add the sauce from the pot that the beef simmered in, stir well to make sure the cubes are equally distributed and coated, and cook for 5 to 6 more minutes.
- Serve Filipino Coconut Beef Adobo piping hot, with rice.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)