Traditional Irish Bangers and Mash with Wine Gravy is another typical, very hearty and filling Irish meal. It is made especially sumptuous by the rich red wine gravy. Super-yummy!
Bangers and Mash with Wine Gravy Recipe-
(serves 2 or 3)
- 6 plump bangers (Irish sausages)
- 4 large, or 6 medium sized potatoes, peeled cut into quarters
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 2 tbsp. Irish butter
- nutmeg, to taste
- 2 medium sized white or yellow onions, peeled, sliced thin, and finely chopped
- 4 to 6 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. vegetable cooking oil
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. Whole Grain Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup good quality dry red wine (a Bordeaux is recommended)
- 10 oz. chicken broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped fine chives, for garnish
- Oven-grill the bangers (with the oven set on broil) for 25 to 30 minutes.
- While the bangers are cooking, boil the quartered potatoes until well tenderized.
- When the potatoes are well cooked, drain them and mash them while still hot with butter, milk, nutmeg and salt until very smooth, no lumps remaining. Keep the mash warmed in the oven, temperature set to 150F. (your bangers should be well done by now, so keep them warmed in the oven too)
- To make your gravy, use a medium sized sauce pan, heat the oil over medium high heat, and sauté the onions and garlic until fragrant and well browned.
- Now add in the flour, stir and blend well, then the mustard, again stirring well, and then the red wine, once more stirring to blend all ingredients thoroughly.
- Cook for about 15 – 20 seconds is all, and then add the broth. Stir to blend, turn the heat down to a lively simmer, and cook until the gravy reduces and is well thickened.
- To serve your Irish Bangers and Mash with Wine Gravy, scoop a healthy portion of the mash onto each plate, and sprinkle some chopped green onions over the pile. Then put 2 or 3 bangers on top of the mash, and garnish with a sprinkling of chopped chives. Pour your gravy into a lipped serving bowl – a gravy boat is the best, you can get one by clicking here if you don’t yet own one – and set on the table for each person to pour as much as they want over their bangers and mash. Also have salt and pepper on the table.