The “upside down” cake is very popular in America, and these Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes are simply marvelous.
Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes Recipe-
For the Cupcake Batter-
- 1 box Pillsbury Moist Supreme Classic Yellow Cake Mix with pudding in the mix
- 1 (3.4 oz.) Vanilla Instant Pudding
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 2/3 cup fresh, pure pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 (8 oz.) can pineapple slices, drained (save juice)
- 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained (save juice)
For the Topping-
- Spray muffin tins well with cooking spray. Melt butter and sugar together on top of the stove. Add 1 tablespoon sugar mixture to each muffin cup. Next, put in 1 tablespoon crushed, drained pineapple or 1 pineapple slice in bottom of each cup.
- In a large bowl mix cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, juice and milk with mixer. Fill cups 1/2 to 3/4 full with cake mix.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Remove and let cool at least 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges to loosen muffins from cups before removing.
- Turn cupcakes upside down on a platter and add cherries. Note: I used one regular 12 cup muffin tin and one large 6 cup tin to make these. This way the recipe made 18 cupcakes. If just using regular 12 cup tins, it should make about 24 cupcakes.
- You could use all crushed pineapple or all pineapple rings as well. I wanted to try them both ways to see how they turned out. I think the pineapple rings work better in the larger cup muffin tins. These would be good topped with whipped cream and you could add nuts to the mix.
- As with almost all American desserts, it is the American custom to serve Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes with freshly brewed, dark blend, strong coffee.