Bacon Wrapped Onion Bombs could also be served as an appetizer, if you and your family and/or guests are very hungry. But they are filling enough to serve well as a main meat meal entree.
Bacon Wrapped Onion Bombs Recipe-
(makes 8 bacon wrapped onion bombs)
- 2 lb. lean (no more than 7% fat) ground beef
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup mesquite BBQ sauce, plus a bit more
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 8 small to medium-sized yellow onions
- 2 lb. of thick sliced smoked bacon
You will also need: 8 wooden skewers
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, use your (freshly cleaned) hands to combine the lean ground beef, bread crumbs, eggs, milk, onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and 1 cup of mesquite BBQ sauce. Mix and blend together until thoroughly combined.
- Slice the tops and bottoms off the onions, cut them in half and peel off the outer dry skin layers. Separate the onion halves and lay them open on a large baking dish. remove the interiors of the onions, leaving just about a 1/2″ thick “cup” shape of the larger outer layers of the onion halves.
- Now form the meatloaf stuffing into 8 equal sized balls. Nestle a meatball into 8 of the onion halves. Place the 8 remaining onion halves over the nestled meatballs.
- Carefully pick each stuffed onion up and wrap each of the “bombs” with 3 to 4 slices of bacon. Wrap them around in such a way that they overlap a bit, with the last slice applied around the center. Then secure the slices in place with the wooden skewers. (Note: an alternative – and easier – method is to secure each bacon strip with its own toothpick)
- Pop the baking dish in the oven and bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until the internal temperatures reach 165 degrees.
- Now slather on some more BBQ sauce all over them, and bake another 5 minutes.
- Serve your Bacon Wrapped Onion Bombs while nice and hot, fresh out of the oven.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)