Spicy Rice and 3 Beans Hash can be vegetarian and also vegan, depending on which broth you use. This marvelous and tasty dish is a full meal-in-one, providing a ton of complete protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals.
Spicy Rice and 3 Beans Hash Recipe-
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large habanero pepper, finely chopped (seeds removed, for just hot dish, seeds left in for super hot!)
- 1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and small diced
- 1 15 oz. can red kidney beans
- 1 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans
- 1 large bell pepper (red, orange, yellow or green, your choice), de-seeded and rough chopped
- 6 large cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 1 large red onion, rough chopped
- soy sauce, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. Rajah hot yellow curry powder
- 2 tbsp. Sriracha hot sauce
- 4-5 cups chicken broth (or, for vegans, substitute vegetable broth)
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Fresh cilantro leaves, rough chopped, for garnish
- In a large sauce pan or skillet, heat the olive oil to medium high. Sauté the bell pepper, onion, garlic, and habanero pepper until softened. (You may want to have a lid on the pan for this step, as the oils from the hot pepper will waft up into the air, and can sting the eyes and nose)
- Add in the beans, hot sauce, onion powder, salt, curry, turmeric, soy sauce, and pepper. Turn the heat down to where the mixture is at a lively simmer, and let it cook while you prepare the rice.
- In a very large cooking pot, bring 4 cups of the broth you are using to a rolling boil, then stir in the rice and butter. This will stop the boiling, so keep the heat on high until a good boil returns, then reduce the heat to where the rice is cooking at a mild simmer.
- Allow to simmer, with the lid on, for 30 to 40 minutes, after 30 minutes check on it—the rice will be done when, if you tip the pot to one side, no liquid seeps down the side of the pot. If the liquid has all cooked out and the rice is still not tender, add some more broth, adjust heat to retain the simmer, and cook longer.
- Remove the rice from the burner, and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Gently fold the beans and veggies mixture into the rice, blending it all together thoroughly.
- Do a taste test, and adjust seasonings to taste, if need be.
- Serve your Spicy Rice and 3 Beans Hash in bowls, with fresh chopped cilantro sprinkled on top, as garnish.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)