Seared Citrus Tarragon Sauced Chicken is an American favorite. You will love the opposite play of sweet and tangy flavors, as well as the succulent texture.
Seared Citrus Tarragon Sauced Chicken Recipe-
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 lb.)
- Freshly ground course sea salt and black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp. scallion infused olive oil
- 2 large shallots, peeled and sliced thinly
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 3 tbsp. fresh tarragon, chopped finely
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. finely grated orange zest
- ½ tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- several pimentos, chopped fine
- fresh lemons, quartered, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 450° Fahrenheit.
- Wash and clean the chicken, pat dry, and season with 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper.
- In a large, oven-proof skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat, until the oil is sizzling hot.
- Sauté the chicken thighs until well browned on the bottom sides, about 5 or 6 minutes, then turn them over and place the skillet into the oven.
- Roast the chicken for about 15 minutes, or until well cooked through—the juices coming out are running clear.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, place on a platter, and cover the platter with tin or aluminum foil, and set aside.
- Place the skillet back on the burner over medium heat, then add in the shallots along with ½ tsp. salt, and sauté, stirring and scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, until the scallions are soft, translucent, and fragrant—2 to 3 minutes.
- Now make you sauce: add into the skillet the broth, orange and lemon juices, honey, tarragon, pimentos, and zests. Cook until the liquid amount has been reduced by 50%, which should take 5 or 6 minutes.
- To serve your Seared Citrus Tarragon Sauced Chicken, place the sear-roasted thighs on serving plates; any juices left on the platter you had the thighs resting on get poured and mixed into the sauce, and then put the sauce into a spouted serving bowl to set on the table for each person to drizzle over their chicken as desired. Garnish each serving plate with some lemon quarters, to squeeze more citrus juices over the chicken if desired.