Another favorite dish of the Vatican’s Swiss Guard, is this truly mouth-watering Florentine Tomato Soup.
Florentine Tomato Soup Recipe-
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped fine
- 18 oz. cherry tomatoes, chopped fine
- 1 oz. scallion infused olive oil
- 2 oz. balsamic vinegar
- 8 oz. vegetable stock
- 12 oz. tomato juice
- 2 tsp. basil oil
- 2 tsp. raw cane sugar
- freshly ground fine sea salt and black peppercorns
- fresh shavings of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, for garnish
- fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Sauté the onions and tomatoes in the scallion infused olive oil.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the mix, stir together, and cook until it caramelizes, then deglaze with the balsamic vinegar.
- Now pour in the vegetable stock and tomato juice, stir everything together well, and adjust the heat to where your Florentine tomato soup is cooking at a gentle simmer
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and basil oil, and simmer-cook for a half an hour.
- Puree the soup in a food processor or electric blender, and then pass it through a fine sieve.
- Serve your Florentine Tomato Soup while still very warm, garnished with fresh shavings of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, or fresh basil leaves, or both.