Chicken Yakhni is a classic Lebanese dish. Pieces of chicken are first fried, and then gently cooked with cinnamon, cardamom, yogurt, and other zesty condiments. There are many types of Lebanese yakhnis. In fact, a “yakhni” is merely a special type of well-spiced broth or soup. You can then make seafood, vegetable, or meat yakhni dishes. This chicken yakhni is an outstanding blend of flavors and textures.
Chicken Yakhni Recipe-
- 1-1/2 lb. (700-800 grams) chicken pieces: legs, thighs, wings, and breast halves
- 6-7 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of lemon curd
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 2 brown cardamom pods
- 2 small cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp. saunth
- 1 tsp. saunf powder
- 1/2 tsp. Kashmiri red chili powder
- salt, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, and fry the chicken pieces until nicely browned all over. When done, remove the pieces with a slotted spoon – keeping the cooking juices in the skillet. Place the fried chicken in a bowl, and set aside for now.
- Using the same skillet, reduce the heat to medium and sauté the cinnamon sticks and cardamom pods until they start to soften and become fragrant.
- Mix a little water into the saunf and saunth powders and then add and stir them to the skillet. Cook and a gentle boil for 2-3 minutes, then turn the heat off, and allow the skillet and contents to cool down to just room temperature.
- Next, and and stir the lemon curd into the skillet; bring the heat up to medium low, and cook for just two minutes.
- Now add the chicken pieces back into the skillet. Sprinkle the chili powder on, and add salt, to taste. Stir everything together well, cover the skillet, and cook at a very gentle simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve your Chicken Yakhni while nice and hot, with freshly steamed rice.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)