Kachumbari Salad is one of the most popular side dishes in Kenya. In fact versions of it show up in lots of East Coastal African countries. But nobody makes Kachumbari Salad better than the Kenyans. Super tasty!
Kachumbari Salad Recipe-
- 3 medium red tomatoes, rough chopped
- 1 medium yellow or orange tomato, rough chopped
- 2 medium onions, peeled, chopped fine, put into a bowl of salted water for 5 minutes, then drained and patted dry
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 green onions, trimmed and chopped fine
- 2 tbsp. Dhania Jeera powder
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced very thin
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Combine the citrus juices with the Dhiania Jeera powder in a mixing bowl. Salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Mix the two different colors of chopped tomatoes together.
- Mix the thin sliced carrot and shredded cabbage together.
- On a large serving platter, arrange the tomatoes spread out in a large long mound, then cover one end of the mound with the salted chopped onions, and the other end with the combined cabbage and carrot. sprinkle the chopped green onions over the top of it all, then drizzle the seasoned citrus juices all over everything. Do not toss at all.Place in the refrigerator for an hour before serving.
- Serve Kachumbari Salad cold with roasted meat dishes (nyama choma) and either chapatis or some ugali.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)