Penne con Pesto is a classic Italian pasta that is a great accompaniment to Zuppa di Pomodoro.
Penne con Pesto Recipe-
- 8 oz. uncooked penne pasta
For the pesto-
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (you can use pre-grated in a can, but fresh grated is going to be much better, with a fine grade of aged cheese, like Parmigiano Reggiano)
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
To add later-
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- Place basil, garlic, Parmesan and pine nuts in a food processor. Blend until creamy, gradually adding olive oil while pulsing.
- Heat in a sauce pan over low heat, adding heavy cream until desired consistency is reached. Add sun-dried tomatoes to warm, and coat with sauce.
- Add freshly cooked pasta, and toss to coat. Divide onto plates, sprinkle with pine nuts and freshly grated Parmesan, and serve your Penne con Pesto.