Coconut Chicken Curry with Yogurt Recipe-
- 3 lb. chicken thighs, skins and bones removed
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 large or 3 medium yellow onions, fine chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- Freshly grated ginger root (about 1” length)
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 whole cardamom pods (or ½ tsp. ground cardamom)
- 2 cinnamon sticks (or 1 tsp. ground cinnamon)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. freshly ground coarse sea salt
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. freshly ground turmeric root
- 1 tsp. yellow curry powder
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. golden raisins
- In a large and heavy skillet (one that has a tight fitting lid) over medium-high heat, sauté onions and garlic in butter, until fragrant and translucent and beginning to brown.
- Now add in the spices, and sauté 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Sauté the chicken, turning as needed to get all pieces well browned on all sides.
- In a mixing bowl, blend together the turmeric, yogurt, raisins and coconut milk, then pour the mixture into the skillet with the chicken.
- Place the lid on the skillet, and reduce heat to where the dish is cooking at just a lively simmer, and simmer-cook for 40-45 minutes, or until chicken is well done and very tender. If you are using pods and stick forms of the cardamom and cinnamon, remove them from the skillet.
- Serve your Coconut Chicken Curry with Yogurt while still nice and hot, either over rice, or with rice on the side.