Egg Shakshouka is one of the most truly unique and original dishes in Tunisian cuisine. Be sure to use real Harissa sauce, it is essential for authenticity. Plus it tastes wonderful!
Egg Shakshouka Recipe-
- 2 red capsicums (sweet peppers), cored, seeded, and rough chopped
- 2 red hot chili peppers
- 2 oz. tomato paste
- 24 oz. water
- 4 oz. scallion infused olive oil
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp. Harissa sauce
- 1 tbsp. caraway seeds
- 8 large eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the hot chili peppers and capsicums an electric blender or food processor and process just until not yet smooth, but a little chunky.
- In a large skillet over medium-high flame, seat the oil and then add in the tomato paste, puréed peppers, harissa, paprika, caraway seeds, salt and pepper, and mix together thoroughly.
- Now add in the water and bring to vigorous boil, stirring now and then. Once the boil is achieved, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Crack the eggs over the skillet and into the cooking sauce, exercising care so as to not break the yolks.
- Sprinkle some salt on the eggs, and continue cooking until the eggs have set up firm and the whites are cooked through.
- To serve your Egg Shakshouka, use a wide spatula and carefully lift out a generous portion of the sauce with an egg on top and transfer to serving plates.