Abenkwan is a superbly delicious soup, originating in the Ashanti region of Ghana.
Abenkwan (Spicy Vegetable and Seafood Soup)
- 2 cups red palm oil (a must ingredient, no other oil can even approximate the rich, exotic flavor it has)
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 Maggi seasoning cube, crushed (another absolute must ingredient for authentic Ghanaian flavor)
- 1 chili pepper, crushed or 1/2 tsp dried chili powder
- cayenne pepper
- 2 cups tomato, chopped
- 1 cups fresh or fresh picked and canned okra
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into chunks
- 1 lb. fresh catfish or fresh crab meat
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- In a large, heavy stew pot, boil the palm oil for 10 minutes.
- Add onions and pepper and continue cooking on high heat for another 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat, add all remaining ingredients, and simmer for an hour more until soup is somewhat thickened. Stir from time to time.
- If there is too much palm oil on the surface for your liking, skim it off with a large spoon.
- Serve your Abenkwan hot, with banku.