This California Sushi Roll Supreme is outstanding. There is a huge Asian segment of the West Coast population. Californians took to Japanese and Korean sushi right away and it is immensely popular all up and down the coast.
California Sushi Roll Supreme Recipe-
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 large, ripe, but not overly ripe, avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced into 1/4-inch thick pieces
- 4 sheets nori seaweed
- 1/2 batch sushi rice (see recipe below)
- 1/3 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 6 oz. fresh crab meat, cut into small pieces
- Pickled thin-sliced ginger, for serving
- Wasabi paste, for serving
- Soy sauce, for serving
- 4 oz. salmon roe (caviar)
- 2 cups sushi grade rice (it has to be sushi grade rice! No other rice will work for sushi)
- 2 cups water, plus extra for rinsing rice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the avocado slices – this will prevent it from browning before you can use it.
- Cover a bamboo rolling mat with some plastic wrap.
- Cut the nori sheets in half, crosswise.
- Lay 1 sheet of nori, shiny side down, on the plastic covered mat.
- Wet your fingers with water and spread about 1/2 cup of the rice onto the nori – make sure it is spread out in an even thickness all over.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over the spread out rice.
- Now flip the sheet of nori over, placing the rice side down.
- Place 1/8 of the cucumber, crab stick pieces, and avocado in the center of the sheet, spread evenly along the length of the sheet.
- Take hold of the edge of the mat closest to you, making sure the fillings are held in place with your fingers and, using the mat, roll the sheet into a tight cylinder.
- Pull the mat away and set it aside, covered with a moistened cloth.
- Repeat steps 2 through 10, until all of the rice has been used.
- Spread the salmon roe out on a clean flat surface, and roll each California roll over the roe, coating each roll with an outside layer of the roe.
- Cut each finished roll into 6 pieces.
- Serve with pickled ginger on the side, and a small bowl for each person to mix some wasabi and soy sauce together for dipping.
Sushi Rice Directions:
- Put the rice into a medium sized mixing bowl and cover completely with cool water. Swish the rice around in the water, then pour the water off. Repeat this 2 to 3 times, until the water runs off clear.
- Place the rice into a medium sized saucepan with 2 cups of water, and turn the heat up to high. Cover the pan and bring to a vigorous boil. As soon as it boils, reduce the heat to just a mild simmer, keep the cover on, and simmer-cook the rice for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it stand, covered and cooling, for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, salt, and rice vinegar, and heat in the microwave on high for 35 to 45 seconds.
- Transfer the rice into a large mixing bowl (wooden or glass is best) and then add in the vinegar mixture. Fold and combine thoroughly, making sure every grain of rice is equally coated with the vinegar mixture.
- That’s it. Now just let the rice cool to room temperature before using it to make your sushi or sashimi.
Serve your California Sushi Roll Supreme with the pieces arranged in an attractive pattern on the serving plate, with a lump of wasabi, a lump of thin-sliced pickled ginger, and a small bowl of soy sauce for dipping. Lots of sushi lovers like to stir some wasabi into their soy sauce, the make the dip spicy hot.