One of my favorite ways to prepare deer meat is this Venison Herb Pot Roast recipe. Even people who don’t care much for “gamey” tasting meats will enjoy this. The slow cooking, combined with all the herbs, spices, and vegetable juices, makes the venison much milder in flavor. And it will get so juicy and tender, the meat will simply melt in your mouth.
Venison Herb Pot Roast Recipe-
- 2 lb. venison strip loin roast
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 4 large stalks celery, trimmed and chopped in 3″ long pieces
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped into 3″ long pieces
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 1⁄4 cup dark mushroom flavored soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. A1 Original Steak Sauce
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and rough chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 lamb bouillon cubes
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- water, to cover
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the onion powder, oregano, fennel seeds, thyme, cilantro, and salt and pepper. Pour the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and A1 Steak Sauce into the bowl, stir and blend everything together well.
- Rub some of this seasoning mixture all over the venison, working it well into the flesh. Reserve all the seasoning not used for the rub – which should be more than half of the volume.
- Place half of the onions and garlic in the bottom of a suitably sized roasting pan; place the rubbed roast in, laying on top of the onions and garlic.
- Now surround the roast with the potatoes, carrots, celery, and the rest of the onions and garlic.
- Pour enough water into the pan so only the very top of the roast is exposed.
- Stir in the remaining herb seasoning sauce mixture; crush the bouillon cubes and stir them in also.
- Bake in oven for 4 hours, or until the meat is fork tender. Turn the roast over in the pot once or twice during the cooking period, so the top and bottom have equal time absorbing the delicious juices – which will reduce in volume as the baking continues.
- Serve your Venison Herb Pot Roast while nice and hot. Place generous slices of the roast on a serving platter, surrounded by the roasted veggies.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)