Banana Pineapple Bread, Nauruan style, is a superb treat. You can use this same recipe using different fruit combinations, too. Mango and papaya are favorites I have tried.
Banana Pineapple Bread Recipe-
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted (this ingredient is what really makes this recipe so awesome. Be sure to get “extra virgin” – the taste is distinct, unique, and wonderful)
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/4 cups granulated white cane sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1 cup fresh or frozen pineapple, diced
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare two 8″ by 4″ bread pans with a light coating of grease topped with flour on the bottoms and inside walls.
- Combine the coconut oil, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, brown and white sugars in a large mixing bowl. Stir and blend together until completely smooth and devoid of any lumps.
- Using another bowl, whisk together the baking powder, baking soda, flour, nutmeg and salt.
- Add the flour mixture into the to egg mixture, and stir together. This should be a very gentle “folding” procedure. Do not stir vigorously, you just want the two mixtures to be combined into one batter, but not “whipped” together.
- Now fold into the batter the pineapple and bananas.
- Now pour your combined-fruity batter into your prepared pans and bake for about 40 to 45 minutes, or until the loaf tops are well set and turning a rich golden color. If you are using frozen pineapple, it will take a little longer than if using fresh. The breads are well done when you can stick a toothpick deep into the center and it is almost clean when you pull it out.
- Remove the pans from the oven and let them cool a bit – 10 to 15 minutes – before taking the loaves out of the pans.
- Serve your Nauruan style Banana Pineapple Bread while still nice and warm. What doesn’t get eaten right away will still taste great later, at room temperature.
- For a drink accompaniment, try taking some Nauruan Pandanus tea. Wonderful combination, and very healthy for you, too.