Pollo en Salsa de Almendra (Chicken in Almond Sauce) is a classic Mexican entree. Bold, filling and flavorful.
Pollo en Salsa de Almendra Recipe-
- 1) 3-1/2 to 4 pound chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1/2 medium white onion, studded with 2 whole cloves
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- water to cover
- salt or powdered chicken bouillon to taste
- 2 tbsp. pure corn oil
- 4 ounces peeled, blanched almonds
- 4 hard-boiled egg yolks
- 4 slices day-old bread, torn into pieces
- Place the chicken, onion, garlic, peppercorns, water to cover and salt or bouillon to taste in a stockpot, bring to a boil, lower heat and cook until the chicken is tender, making sure to remove the breast pieces when they are cooked through, since they will become rubbery if cooked for the same length of time required for dark meat.
- Remove the cooked chicken, strain the stock and reserve.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet, add the cooked chicken pieces, and saute until golden. Remove and keep warm, covered.
- Place the almonds, egg yolks, bread and 1 cup of the reserved broth in a blender and puree. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the skillet, add the almond puree and cook, stirring, 5-10 minutes. Add broth as necessary, a little at a time, to form a medium-thick sauce. Return the chicken to the pan and heat through.
- To serve your Pollo en Salsa de Almendra, place chicken pieces on serving plates, and cover them with generous helpings of the sauce.