Meat Stuffed Breadfruit is a Grenadian specialty dish. Breadfruits (sometimes called “Jackfruits”) are huge, averaging about the same size as an American football.
Meat Stuffed Breadfruit Recipe-
- 16 oz. ground beef, very lean (less than 10% fat)
- 2 tbs. Jamaican Jerk seasoning
- 1 medium-sized onion, peeled and chopped fine
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and chopped fine.
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 tbs. tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 fresh, ripe breadfruit
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the top (stemmed end) 1/4 of the breadfruit off, using a sharp knife and cutting at a slight angle. Keep the stemmed piece, this will be a “lid” for the stuffing during baking.
- Peel the skin plus about 1/8″ of the flesh off the fruit’s outsides. The outer 1/8″ of flesh is not as tasty as the deeper flesh.
- Now scoop out the interior flesh, leaving about 1/2″ to 3/4″ thickness of flesh all around.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the ground beef in the cooking oil with the chopped onion and garlic.
- When the meat starts turning brown, add in the tomato paste, Jerk seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Now stuff the breadfruit cavity with the cooked and seasoned beef mixture, replace the stem “lid” and place the fruit, stem up, on a baking pan.
- Place pan in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the fruit feels tender when poked with a fork.
- To serve your Meat Stuffed Breadfruit, scoop the baked stuffing out and place it on a serving platter. Then chop the fruit’s flesh up into bite-sized chunks and mound the chunks next to the stuffing on the platter.
- Meat Stuffed Breadfruit can also be made using pork meat and any type of fish that has a flaky texture when cooked.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)