Japanese (or Persian) cukes are what makes Sunomono such a s distinctive and memorable cucumber salad.
Sunomono (Japanese Cucumber Salad) recipe-
- 3 Japanese or Persian cucumbers
- 4 to 6 green onions, chopped into ¼” pieces, using all the white parts and the first half of the green stalks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp ginger flavored soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Slice cucumbers as thinly as you can. Stir in the salt, and let the slices sit for 4 to 5 minutes. Take a clean cheesecloth and squeeze any excess water out of the cucumbers.
- Place the salted cucumber slices in a bowl, add in the chopped green onions, and stir together for an even mix.
- Mix rice vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce together in a small bowl until the sugar is dissolved.
- Going back to the bowl with the sliced cucumbers and green onions, add in the vinegar mixture and sesame seeds.
- Mix all ingredients together well, and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Serve your Sunomono cold.