Risotto al Vino Rosso (Rosotto with Red Wine) is another favorite dish in the Vatican.
Risotto al Vino Rosso Recipe-
- 9 oz. Carnaroli (risotto) rice
- 3-1/2 oz. dried Porcini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup of good quality, dry red wine (Bordeaux is suggested)
- 1/4 cup of Marsala cooking wine
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped fine
- 1 liter of vegetable stock
- 1-1/2 oz. butter
- 3 oz. freshly shaved Parmigiano Reggiano cheese slivers
- freshly ground fine sea salt and black peppercorns
- Soak the mushroom in clear, cold water, for about half an hour, then drain the water off with a sieve held over a bowl – you want to reserve the liquid.
- Pass the mushroom water through some cheesecloth to remove any solids, and set aside in a bowl.
- Sauté the onion in a saucepan with the butter, over medium high heat, until the onion is a golden brown.
- Add the rice into the pan and fry just 2 – 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Now add in the red wine and marsala, to deglaze.
- As soon as the liquid has reduced by a third, add in the Porcini mushroom water, stirring continuousl
- Still stirring constantly, gradually pour in the vegetable stock.
- Adjust heat so the dish is cooking at a lively simmer, and cook for about 10 minutes, then add in the rehydrated Porcini mushrooms and cook for another five minutes.
- Turn the heat off, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir well, take the pan off the stove and let it sit while you shave your cheese slivers.
- Serve immediately, with each serving garnished with some fresh Parmigiano Reggiano cheese shavings.