Fish Masala, Surinamese style, is absolutely wonderful. The garam masala seasoning is quite spicy, so you can adjust the level of hot & spicy your fish masala will be with how many (if any) hot peppers you want to include.
Fish Masala Recipe-
- 2 lb. fresh fish steaks or fillets (trout, cod, almost any favorite fish of yours)
- Large onion, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 4 large cloves of garlic, peeled and rough chopped
- 2 tbsp. Garam Masala seasoning powder
- 3 tbsp. tomato ketchup
- Sunflower oil, for frying
- 1 or 2 Scotch Bonnet hot chili peppers (leave them out altogether if you don’t like hot/spicy dishes – these little peppers are hot!)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Salt, to taste
- Sauté the fish fillets in sunflower oil until tender and browned, then remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the diced onion and chopped garlic into the pan, and fry until both are nice and glazed.
- Now add in the garam masala, stirring as you do.
- Add the fried fish fillets back in now, with the hot peppers, sugar, and salt to taste, and just enough water to loosen the mixture so it simmers well.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring now and then, and turning the fillets over to get them evenly coated in the spicy masala sauce.
- Serve your Fish Masala with steamy white rice, and garnishes of lemon wedges and sliced raw onions.