Strawberry Shortcake with Whipped Cream is definitely an All American unique and favorite after dinner treat, shortcake is usually made with strawberries, but, as with cobblers, you can try substituting other fruits as well. Don’t go with pre-fab whipped creams, you want to have fresh, homemade whipped cream to top of this marvelous taste treat.
Strawberry Shortcake with Whipped Cream Recipe-
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh strawberries, stemmed and quartered (Your Strawberry Shortcake with Whipped Cream can only be as good as the strawberries you use, so don’t settle for anything less than plant-ripened, fresh and very ripr, sweet strawberries)
- 5 tbsp. granulated pure cane sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
Whipped Cream, recipe follows=
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 3 tbsp. granulated pure cane sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
- Mix the strawberries together with 3 tablespoons sugar in a bowl, stir and toss well to coat, then refrigerate for about half an hour to let the sweet juices develop.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F while the strawberries are juicing up, and prepare your shortcake.
- Sift the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and flour together, into a medium-sized bowl.
- Add in heavy cream and mix until just combined.
- Place the combined shortcake mixture in an un-greased 8″ square baking pan and bake until golden, about 20 minutes.
- Turn the oven off, take the shortcake out of the pan and place it on a rack to cool down just a little, so you can handle it. As soon as you can handle the cake, cut it into 6 equal pieces, then slice each piece horizontally in half. Place the pieces on a baking tray and keep warm in the still warm oven.
- Now make your whipped cream. Using a mixer, beat the heavy cream, lemon zest, vanilla and sugar, until soft peaks start forming. This usually will take about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Time to assemble your Strawberry Shortcake with Whipped Cream dessert dish. Place the still very warm two halves of each piece side by side on a serving plate. Ladle a small portion of the strawberries, along with their juices, onto one of each of the halves. Place the other halves on top of the strawberries layers, then ladle another (this time very generous) portion of strawberries and juices over the top halves of shortcake.
- Finally, heap a nice sized mound of your freshly prepared homemade whipped cream. Top with a generous dollop of whipped cream, and enjoy your homemade Strawberry Shortcake with Whipped Cream.