Oaxacan Chillied Chicken Enchilado is a traditional Chicken dish from Oaxaca. It is very rich, with tender chicken smothered in a thick, delicious red mole sauce.
Oaxacan Chillied Chicken Enchilado Recipe-
- 8 chicken drumsticks and/or thighs, skins removed & deboned
- 16 large dried guajillo chili peppers, stems removed
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and cut in half
- 4 large cloves, peeled fresh garlic
- 5 large roma tomatoes, cut in fourths
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper, rough chopped
- 5-6 dried avocado leaves
- 1 tsp. comino powder
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup apple vinegar
- 2 quarts water
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/2 cup canola oil, divided in half
- 1 tsp. Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. toasted white sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Add the 2 quarts water into a pot with bay leaf, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. garlic powder, 2 garlic cloves, half the onion, and the chicken pieces. Cover and cook until meat is tender but not falling of the bone (about 45 minutes). Set aside.
- One hour before dinner time, add 1/2 the oil into a large skillet and heat it up over a very low flame. Add the dried guajillo peppers and fry over medium flame – take care you don’t burn them. Dried guajillo peppers will burn quickly, so you have to watch them closely. Chiles should become pliable (not soft) – about 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the Scotch bonnet pepper into the skillet, and fry on all sides (about 3 minutes). Remove and Transfer to the bowl with the fried guajillos.
- Now add remaining half onion, remaining 2 garlic cloves, vinegar, quartered tomatoes, salt, pepper, garlic powder, the fried Guajillos, fried Scotch bonnet pepper, and one cup broth. Pulverize in blender on high until well liquefied.
- Strain the blended chili mixture through a sieve, and discard any solids.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large pot until simmering, and then add the chili mixture into the oil and fry. Be careful – it will sizzle and sputter.
- Reduce the heat and stir the simmering chili. Taste to see if it needs more salt. Add dried avocado leaves, cumin powder, oregano, the chicken, and 1/4 to 1/2 of a cup of chicken broth. Simmer on low for about 12-15 minutes.
- Serve your Oaxacan Chillied Chicken Enchilado garnished with a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds and a Mexican rice side dish.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)