This Cold Beets and Cucumber Salad, Russian style, is a wonderful accompaniment to almost any meal, especially with warm red meat entrees.
Cold Beets and Cucumber Salad Recipe-
- 4 large red beets, boiled
- 4 pickled cucumbers
- 1 cup green peas, blanched in boiling water until just slightly cooked and softened
- 2 large carrots, peeled, sliced into 1/4″ thick rounds, and blanched in boiling water until just slightly cooked and softened
- 6 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise, to taste and desired texture (please, real mayonnaise, not “Miracle Whip”, if you want true Russian cuisine!)
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Dice the beets and cucumbers into cubes of whatever size you desire and combine them in a large mixing bowl. Stir them together well, enough so that the red juices from the beets has colored the cucumber chunks.
- Add and stir in the blanched peas and carrot rounds.
- Add and stir in the garlic, salt and mayonnaise to taste, and mix thoroughly.
- Cover the bowl, and place in the refrigerator until well chilled before serving.
- To serve your Cold Beets and Cucumber Salad, scoop a generous portion in each serving bowl, and garnish with a few sprigs of fresh parsley.