Orange Ginger Shrimp on the Barbie is as traditional and classic as any Australian dish can get. The Orange/Ginger zest really sets off the flavor of the jumbo prawns just right.
Orange Ginger Shrimp on the Barbie Recipe-
- 12 Jumbo Shrimp (Prawns), deveined, heads, legs and tails left on
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp. sherry
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 2 green onions, white part and first half of the green parts, minced
- 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger root
- Some Australian bush pepper and salt, to taste (a must have ingredient!)
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, and sherry, then grate the teaspoon of orange zest into the bowl, followed by the fresh squeezed orange juice, then grate in the orange zest, and then the minced green onions. Grind in also some bush pepper and salt mixture, to taste. Not too much, or it will overwhelm the delicate flavor of the shrimp meat.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, insert the prawns, then pour in the seasoning/marinating mixture. Seal the bag and allow prawns to marinate for a couple hours before grilling.
- Heat your grille to medium high heat, and lightly oil the grilling rack.
- Remove the prawns from the bag, reserve the marinade, and grille them for just 2 to 3 minutes each side, until a bright orange-red color, basting frequently until done.