Southern Fried Cabbage and Bacon is immensely popular all across America. It is considered a “comfort food” and also good for what ails you.
Southern Fried Cabbage and Bacon Recipe-
- 1/2 pound thick sliced bacon, chopped into 1” pieces
- 3 heads fresh cabbage (about 3 pounds)
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp. salt
- Remove any wilted and/or discolored leaves from the outside of the cabbage heads, and then cut the head into quarters. Chop the tough core parts out. Chop the rest of the quarters into 1” dices.
- Use a large (4 quart) cooking pot; put it on medium heat, and cook the bacon until crisp. Take the bacon out with a slotted spoon or hand held sieve, and place it on paper towels to absorb the extra fat drippings. Leave the residual drippings in the pan—you should have around ½ cup of pork fat left in there.
- Now add the diced cabbage into the pot and cook it in the pork fat until it starts to brown, usually 3 or 4 minutes. Stir the cabbage just enough so all of it gets a little browned but none of it gets burned.
- Now add in the water, salt, pepper, and sugar, cover the pot, and cook until the cabbage is well tenderized, usually about 20 minutes.
- Stir the bacon pieces back into the cabbage, cook just another minute, to reheat the bacon, then remove from the heat and serve your Southern Fried Cabbage and Bacon while still hot.