Masala Prawns are an Indian national favorite dish. Indians love prawns (shrimp) in general, but this method of cooking them is other-worldly rich and delicious. Also one of the more quick and easy Indian recipes, Masala Prawns will quickly climb up the ladder of your favorite seafood dishes.
Masala Prawns Recipe-
- 1 lb. jumbo prawns, peeled and deveined
- ½ tsp. freshly ground turmeric root
- ½ tsp. dark roasted red chili powder
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds, crushed
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds, crushed
- ½ tsp. salt
For the Masala-
- 2 tbsp. rapeseed oil
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1 tsp. brown mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. Ajwan seeds
- 1 tbsp. dark roasted red chili powder
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and rough chopped
- 2 Indian spice chilis, sliced thin (if you have dried chilis, rehydrate before starting to prepare your Masala Prawns)
- Juice from 2 lemons
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Wash the prawns well in fresh cold water, pat them dry with cloth or paper towel, then place into a large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle the turmeric, chili, coriander, cumin and salt over the prawns, then mix and stir together well.
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a wide bottomed skillet over medium-high heat, and then sauté the spiced prawns for just a minute or two, until they lose their translucence, start firming up and turn pinkish colored. Remove from the skillet and set aside for now.
- Add into the skillet the Ajwan and mustard seeds. When they start sizzling, add and stir in the chopped garlic and Indian spice chilis. Sauté for 2 or 3 minutes, until softened and fragrant.
- Now add in the tomato puree, lemon juice, and salt to taste. Adjust heat to a lively simmer, stir well, and cook, uncovered, until the spicy masala is reduced a bit – not a thick sauce, but approaching a saucy consistency.
- Now add the prawns back into the skillet, stir and toss them to coat well with the sauce. Maintain the simmer, and cook for just 2-3 minutes, stirring now and then. This will allow the prawns to get heated through and nicely flavored with your masala sauce.
- Serve your Masala Prawns while nice and hot. Place a mound of freshly cooked white rice on each serving plate; add two jumbo prawns to the plate; ladle a generous portion of the masala sauce over the prawns, and garnish with a sprinkling of chopped fresh cilantro.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)