Traditional African Cookware
We in the modern world know of and use the crockpot, or slow-cooker. But long before the slow cooker, in Morocco, there was a wonderful cookware that did the same thing: an African cookware called the tagine. It is a clay cooking vessel from northern Africa. The conical lid promotes moisture retention and condensation, which bathes and cooks the stew inside with steam.
This steam coaxes the ingredients into a tender, silky texture. Much like the slow cooker we know and love today, back in ancient times the Moroccans used, and still do today, the Moroccan tagine pot as the proverbial put-it-on-and-let-it-go-cooker.
The Moroccans of antiquity would set their tagines on bricks over coals. leaving the stew to cook for hours, but with modern day ovens and stovetops, you can do pretty much the same thing, in a bit less time, using a Moroccan tagine cooking pot in your kitchen.
Shown below are some of our favored tagines, in terms of quality and pricing, but for a full selection of choices, CLICK HERE.
- Made of Burgundy clay, can be used directly on a gas flame or an electric or halogen hob without a diffuser, without any fear of cracking or breaking.
- Oven, broiler, and microwave safe: Flame top pieces can go directly from a freezer or refrigerator, to a hot oven, to the table.
- 3.7 Quart capacity is perfect for brazing, heat conduction and for slow, natural cooking- You won’t soon forget the delightful flavors, vegetables and fall-off-the-bone meats cooked in this Tagine.
- Up to 30% lighter than many types of comparable metal cookware
- Easy clean up: dishwasher safe
- Measurement:10 inches wide (at base)
- Cook Chicken, Meat, Seafood or Vegetarian food
- Ideal for cooking on top of any kind of stove
- Your food stays moist and taste delicious
- Imported from Morocco. Free Shipping lead free
- 2-quart Moroccan Tagine made of enameled cast iron and colorful stoneware
- Cone-shaped lid forms an excellent seal to keep moisture and heat inside
- Generous rim allows for a secure grip during transport
- Hand washing recommended; oven- and broiler-safe up to 500 degrees F
- Measures 12-4/5 by 12-4/5 by 11-2/5 inches; limited lifetime warranty
Cooking and Serving Implements
Price: $9.98, with FREE shipping
- fufu stick
- wooden paddle for making fufu
- 1 pc.
Maisha Fair Trade African Wooden Salad Servers Set Ladle Cooking Spoon & Fork Utensils Teak Wood Giraffe Print
Africans are very “hands on” with their cooking, their eating, and their table serving manners. And they like organic implements, baked clay pots, wooden serving spoons, and the like. This handcrafted serving spoon and fork pair is a steal at only $14.95, and has all the following fine features:
- 2-piece fork and spoon serving utensil set; 10 inches long
- Durable, resinous jakaranda hardwood with rich color and prominent grain
- Handcrafted using Fair Trade practices to protect and sustain the Africa artisans.
- Handcrafted for stunning styles, unique details on each piece; water- and stain-resistant
- Wash by hand and air dry; can be treated with non-toxic mineral or cooking oil
Mortar and Pestles
This one is a great deal for the price and quality, but for a fell selection, CLICK HERE.
I had the pleasure not too long ago, of being in Ghana, Africa, and where I stayed, the lady and cook of the household used one just like this. I was so enamored with watching her using it, she smiled and asked me if I’d like to try. I did, and was sold on the whole process. It somehow adds a personal touch that gets translated into even tastier food. I bought this one, I think the best value for the price, at only $26, and with all these great features:
- Manufactured by ImportFood in Tak, Thailand. 7″ diameter, 5″ inner bowl, 4.5″ height, 7″ pestle
- Handmade from a single block of extremely hard (Mohs Scale 7+), dark granite, 3 sizes available
- Indestructible, will not chip or crack no matter how hard you pound
- Received top endorsement from celebrity chef David Rosengarten
- Beautiful appearance, a work of art to show off in your kitchen
- 4-1/2-inch fully forged paring knife made from high-alloy stainless steel
- Forged from a single piece of steel, the blade, bolster and full tang are optimized for weight distribution
- Special hardening technique provides long edge retention as well as protects against wear and tear plus corrosion
- Handle made of moisture-resistant African Blackwood with a comfortably ergonomic finger guard
You will love this soap! Not only for washing your hands before and after eating traditional African food dishes, but for general body cleansing purposes as well.
Price: $12.24, with FREE shipping
- Dudu Osun Black Soap, Original African black soap made in Nigeria.
- Nature’s Cure for All Skin Problems and Skin Types
- Anti Bacterial. Great for Eczema, Psoriasis, Acne and Dermatitis!
- Made from Shea Butter, keeps skin silky smooth.
- Each bar is 5.29 oz. / 150 g. Total of 4 bars.