Caldillo de Congrio con Vino Blanco is a marvelous seafood stew with a savory white wine broth. Chileans use Congrio fish, as it is abundant in that part of the world. But if you can’t get congrio, then sea bass, halibut, grouper, and red snapper all work equally as well.
Caldillo de Congrio con Vino Blanco Recipe-
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled, halved, and slice thin
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced fine
- 1 carrot, peeled, halved lengthwise, and chopped into half-rounds
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1-1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
- 3 tomatoes, cored, seeded, and rough chopped
- 4 cups fish broth
- 1 cup good quality dry white wine (suggest Chardonnay, or perhaps Chenin Blanc)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup minced parsley leaves
- freshly ground coarse sea salt and black peppercorns
- 2 lb. firm-flesh and thick (2″ is good) fish fillets, chopped into large bite-sized chunks
- 1 lb. mussels, scallops, clams or shrimp (or a combination of any of these)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, over medium heat, and sauté the onion for 3-4 minutes, until softened, translucent and fragrant, but not browned.
- Add in the garlic, carrot, bell pepper and paprika and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Now add in the wine, broth, tomatoes, bay leaf, and parsley sprigs. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Bring to a vigorous boil, then reduce to simmer, and cook for 20 more minutes.
- Next, add in the fish and shellfish. Simmer over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until fish turns opaque and shellfish open.
- Whisk together the egg yolk and heavy cream in a small mixing bowl. Before adding this into the main dish, gradually spoon some of the hot stew broth into the egg mixture – this helps the egg/cream mixture to transition into the hot stew without being shocked into curdling.
- Now add the creamy egg mixture, slowly, while stirring, into the stew. Cook for just a few more minutes, stirring now and then, and be sure the stew never boils.
- Garnish each serving of your Caldillo de Congrio con Vino Blanco with a sprinkling of minced fresh parsley.