Indonesian satay is a remarkably delicious twist on the kebab, which is popular in many cultures. The peanut oil and soy sauce marinade and spices used sets it apart from any other skewered and grilled meat as quite special. Indonesian satay is traditionally served with peanut sauce. That recipe is included here, too.
Indonesian Satay Recipe-
For the Marinade-
- 6 chicken breast halves, deboned, skinned, and chopped into bite sized chunks
- 3 tbsp. dark mushroom flavored soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. peanut oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
For the Peanut Sauce-
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 2 tbsp. dark mushroom flavored soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. granulated white cane sugar
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
You will need:
To Make the Marinade and Grille-
- Combine and mix thoroughly the soy sauce, peanut oil, garlic, black pepper, tomato sauce, and cumin in a mixing bowl. Place chicken into the bowl, and stir well to to coat the chunks all over with the marinade. Cover the bowl and allow to marinate (in the refrigerator) for at least 15 minutes, or up to an hour, but not much longer. Marinating for too long will cause the meat to become too dark.
- Preheat your grill for high heat and spray the grille grate with oil.
- Take the chicken chunks out of the marinade and thread them onto the skewers; discard the marinade.
- Grill for about 2 to 3 minutes on one side, then flip them over and grille for another 2 to 3 minutes. They are well done when the juices are running clear.
To Make the Peanut Sauce and Serve-
- In a skillet over medium flame, heat the vegetable oil. Sauté the garlic and onion until fragrant and slightly browned.
- Now add and stir in the peanut butter, sugar, water and soy sauce. Cook, stirring, until well blended. Turn the heat off, then add and stir in the lemon juice, and place the sauce into a serving bowl.
- Serve the peanut sauce with your freshly grilled Indonesian Satay.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)