Start your day off with this tasty and spicy Mexican breakfast dish: Huevos Rancheros con Chorizo.
Huevos Rancheros con Chorizo Recipe-
Ingredients: (serves 6)
- 24 oz. chorizo sausage, casing removed (chorizo comes in mild, medium, and hot, so this ingredient is where you choose how hot-spicy your Huevos Rancheros con Chorizo will be)
- chili infused extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 (15 oz.) cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tsp. ground cumin
- 12 corn tortillas
- 12 eggs
- 12 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped, divided in half
- 2) 15 oz. cans frijoles negros, for accompaniment
- queso fresco cheese, for garnishing the beans
- salsa verde, for topping garnish
- To make the sauce, add 1 tbsp. olive oil to a large skillet and brown chorizo, breaking apart into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Once nice and browned, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onions to the rendered fat and cook for several minutes, until translucent and starting to brown around edges. Add garlic and cumin, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, along with their juice. Return the cooked chorizo to the pan. Add in 2 tablespoons of the chopped cilantro. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and let simmer while you do the rest of the cooking, stirring occasionally. Reduce to warm after it has been simmering for 10 minutes. Add salt to taste if needed.
- Heat the oven to a warm 150°F, place serving plates in the oven to keep warm.
- Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a large non-stick skillet on medium high, coating the pan with the oil. Heat the tortillas in the pan, a minute or two on each side, until they are heated through, softened, and pockets of air bubble up inside of them. Then remove them and stack them on one of the warming plates in the oven to keep warm while you continue cooking the rest of the tortillas and the eggs.
- Using the same skillet as was used for the tortillas, add a little butter to the pan, about two teaspoons for 4 eggs. Heat the pan on medium high heat. Crack eggs into the skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes for runny yolks, more for firmer eggs. You will probably have to fry in batches, depending on the size of your skillet.
- In another skillet, warm up the Mexican black beans (frijoles negros).
- To serve your Huevos Rancheros con Chorizo, spoon a little of the sauce onto a warmed plate. Top with to tortillas, then a fried egg on top of each tortilla. Top with more sauce, sprinkle with more chopped cilantro, then ladle on some salsa verde over everything. Place a helping of the frijoles negros on the side, and garnish with a sprinkling of crumbles queso fresco cheese.