Rich, creamy, and hearty, and one of the best German food recipes you’ll ever prepare and enjoy. Use a good quality bratwurst for the best Bratwurst mit Saurer Sahnensosse (Bratwurst in Sour Cream Sauce) results.
Bratwurst mit Saurer Sahnensosse Recipe-
- 8 good quality, thick German Bratwurst sausages
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- In a medium to large saucepan, bring enough water to cover the bratwurst sausages to a boil.
- Drop the bratwurst sausages in the boiling water. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let sausages soak in the boiling water for about 5 minutes.
- Drain the water from the saucepan, remove the bratwurst sausages, pat them dry with paper towels.
- In a medium sized skillet melt the unsalted butter over medium heat. Add the bratwurst to the butter and use a fork or tongs to turn them frequently to brown the sausages on all sides.
- Add the 1/4 cup of water to the pan. Reduce the heat to low and simmer the bratwurst sausages in the pan for 15-20 minutes. Do not cover. Turn the sausages over occasionally.
- If too much of the water disappears, add back a few tablespoons of hot water back into the pan.
- After the sausages are well browned and cooked through, transfer them to a plate, cover with aluminum foil and store in a warm place.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, salt and tablespoon of all purpose flour.
- Use a tablespoon to transfer the sour cream mixture a bit at a time to the butter, bratwurst drippings mixture. Whisk the cream mixture into the pan and simmer the sauce for roughly 10 minutes to create a smooth, thick texture. Lower the heat a little more. Do not let the mixture come to a boil.
- While the sauce is simmering, cut the bratwurst sausages into small pieces. Transfer them back to the skillet and stir to cover them in sauce. Simmer the bratwurst sausages in the sauce until they are hot.
- Transfer the finished bratwurst sausages to a serving platter, cover with the sauce and serve your Bratwurst mit Saurer Sahnensosse immediately, while nice and hot.