Indonesian Nasi Goreng is a spicy fried rice dish that is a national favorite and by now beloved the world over. Help yourself to some, and see why!
Indonesian Nasi Goreng Recipe-
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 large chicken eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 8 oz. boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped fine
- 6 oz. raw shrimp, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped fine
- 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh ginger root
- 1 tbsp. dried shrimp paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp. sambal oelek
- 1 tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp. ketjap manis
For the Garnish-
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped green onions
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped fine
- At least two hours ahead, or preferably the day before you want to make your Indonesian Nasi Goreng, boil the rice in plenty of salted water until well cooked and tender. Then rinse and drain the rice and spread it out to cool. Store the cooled rice overnight in the fridge in a sealed container.
- The next day, combine the eggs with the sesame oil and salt, and set aside for now.
- Heat the oil over high flame in a wok or large frying pan until sizzling hot and smoking.
- Add and stir in the onions, ginger, shrimp paste, garlic, and pepper, and stir-fry for 2 minutes, squashing the shrimp paste as you go.
- Now add and stir in the shrimp and chicken and stir-fry for 2 minutes more.
- Next, add and stir in the cooked rice and continue to stir-fry for 3 more minutes.
- Now add and stir in the sambal oelek, oyster sauce and ketjap manis, and continue to stir-fry for 2 additional minutes.
- Lastly, add the beaten egg mixture and continue to stir-fry for one more minute.
- Turn off the heat and ladle the dish onto a large attractive serving platter; garnish with the green onion and fresh cilantro, and serve your Indonesian Nasi Goreng while nice and hot.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)