This tasty and spicy treat is so simple and easy to make, it could be considered among the best American fast food recipes you can find. But wow – the texture and complex flavor on the palate are incredible, compared to the relatively short time it takes to prepare this Spicy Black Bean and Salsa Soup.
Spicy Black Bean and Salsa Soup Recipe-
(Makes 4 servings)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup chunky hot salsa
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds left in, rough chopped (optional, for extra spicy hot lovers)
- 3 scallions (green onions), white and green parts separated, both rough chopped
- 4 to 6 tbsp. sour cream
- Rough chopped green stalks of scallions (optional)
- Combine two-thirds of the beans, the cumin, salsa, broth, and rough chopped jalapeno pepper and scallion whites in a food processor or blender. Blend until not quite pureed, still a little chunky.
- Using a medium to large sized saucepan over medium high heat, pour the blended bean mixture in and cook until well heated throughout. Add in the remaining whole beans, stir well, and cook another few minutes until the whole beans are also heated well through.
- Ladle equal portions of the soup into 4 separate bowls, and garnish each with a generous dollop of sour cream in the center and if you like, also a sprinkling of rough chopped scallion greens.