Shakshuka in its origins was a very humble eggs over tomato sauce dish. It is popular all throughout the Mediterranean region. In Israel, however, where it is a national favorite dish, Shakshuka is more often jazzed up. This recipe for Shakshuka is easy to prepare, but complex in its combination of textures and flavors, which include feta cheese and fennel.
- 6 large chicken eggs
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small white or yellow onion, peeled and rough chopped
- 2 tbsp. fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 Thai chili peppers, chopped fine (note: for extra hot & spicy Shakshuka, leave seeds in. For less hot, remove seeds)
- 1 red sweet bell pepper, seeded and sliced into small strips
- 2 yellow sweet bell pepper, seeded and sliced into small strips
- kosher salt, to taste
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and chopped fine
- 1 tbsp. harissa paste
- 1 tsp. sweet Spanish smoked paprika
- 28 oz. canned whole tomatoes, chopped, liquid reserved
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high flame in a large skillet. Use a skillet that has a lid.
- Add the fennel and onion and sauté, stirring, until softened and fragrant – about 3 minutes should do it.
- Add and stir in the chili peppers, both bell peppers and season to taste with kosher salt. Cook, stirring, for about 7 to 8 minutes, until softened.
- Now add in the paprika, garlic and harissa paste. Continue cooking for one more minute, continuously stirring.
- Add and stir in the water and chopped tomatoes (along with the canned juices), reduce the heat to just a lively simmer, and cook, stirring now and then, for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce is nicely thickened.
- Crack the eggs open and gently lay them onto the surface of the cooking sauce, spaced evenly apart. Place the lid on the skillet and cook over medium low heat until the egg whites are firm, but the yolks are still bright yellow and runny – about 5 minutes should do it.
- To serve your Shakshuka, ladle a generous portion of sauce, with an egg on top, onto each serving plate. Garnish with a sprinkling of parsley and crumbled feta cheese. Serve immediately.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)