One of the more exotic dishes to come out of Africa is Nigerian Stir Fried Snails.
I’ve had snails prepared many ways, and you probably have, too. However, the Nigerian spin on cooking is fully evident in this recipe. The use of special African seasonings and manner in which all the ingredients come together in a deep, rich blend of flavors is truly unique, elegant, and remarkable. I highly recommend Nigerian Stir Fried Snails to anyone with a flair for snail dishes.
Nigerian Stir Fried Snails Recipe-
- 4 to 6 large snails, washed in lime-water and chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced thin
- 1o oz. canned tomato puree
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and chopped fine
- 4 tbsp. of olive oil
- juice of 2 limes for cleaning the snails
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. African smoked seasoning
- 1 Maggi, Knorr, or OXO seasoning cube, crushed
- 1/2 tbsp. of salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 red sweet bell pepper, cored, seeded, and rough chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and rough chopped
- 2 – 3 dried serrano hot chili peppers, rehydrated, and rough chopped (Note: for extra hot & spicy, leave seeds in; for less hot & spicy, discard seeds)
- freshly ground red peppercorns, to taste
- fresh water to boil the snails
For Drinks to Accompany the Meal-
- Boil the snails in their shells for 20 to 25 minutes. When you remove them from the shells, they will be slimy and you want that removed. Mix the lime juice into some water and wash the snails thoroughly, until they feel smooth and supple, but no longer slimy.
- When well cleaned, chop the snails into bite-sized chunks.
- In a large skillet over medium high flame, heat the olive oil. Add the snails into the skillet, and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, then add in the onions, bell peppers, garlic, tomato puree, thyme, African smoked seasoning, crushed seasoning cube, serrano peppers, and also freshly ground red peppercorns and salt, to taste. Stir together well, and cook for another 10 minutes.
- And that’s really about all there is to it! As exotic and superbly flavorful as Nigerian Stir Fried Snails are, it is actually one of the most easy Nigerian food recipes you will find.
- Serve your Nigerian Stir Fried Snails with either freshly cooked rice or some Ugali, and have pure fruit juices served for accompanying drinks.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)