I’ve tasted many a black bean soup, but this Best Black Bean Soup is, in my humble but very experienced opinion, the best vegetarian black bean soup recipe ever. Try it out, and let me know what you think.
If you are vegan, a couple options in the recipe below will allow you to make your Best Black Bean Soup without any animal ingredients whatsoever.
Best Black Bean Soup Recipe-
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped white onions
- 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger root
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (add more, if you like spicy hot)
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 tsp. celery salt
- 3 cups chicken broth (vegetable broth for vegan Best Black Bean Soup version)
- 1 (14.25 oz.) can tomato puree
- 2 (16 oz.) cans refried black beans
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. granulated white cane sugar
- 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup pure lemon juice
- Bleu Cheese, Feta Cheese, or goat cheese, crumbled, for garnish (omit if preparing vegan Best Black Bean Soup)
- Green onions, fine chopped, for garnish
- In a large sauce pan, heat the olive oil to medium high heat, and sauté the onion until soft, fragrant, and translucent.
- Add in the garlic and ginger, and the seasonings: thyme, allspice, celery salt and cayenne pepper.
- Now pour the broth into the pan, and also mix in the tomato puree. Stir and blend together.
- Add in the refried black beans, black pepper and sugar, again stir all ingredients together well, and cook until heated through.
- Mix the lemon juice and the canned whole black beans into the soup, and continue cooking until heated through.
- To serve your Best Black Bean Soup, fill each serving bowl near to the top with the soup, and garnish the top with a sprinkling of finely chopped green onions and (if not vegan) some crumbled cheese.