Mashed potatoes are a beloved side dish for many main entrees in North America – beef or pork roast, fried or baked chicken, pork chops, roasted duck and wild game, even seafood entrees. And this Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes recipe kicks up the basic side dish a couple notches, including lots of yummy mushy garlic mashed into the mix. It is a heavenly, passionate taste experience, so enjoy!
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe-
Ingredients: (serves 6)
- 3 large bulbs garlic, top 1/2-inch cut away, and bottom cut just flat enough to sit upright
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground fine sea salt and black peppercorns
- 2 pounds baking potatoes, (I like russets or Yukon gold, but any good baking potato will do), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 stick unsalted sweet cream butter, warmed to room temperature (important ingredient – not just any butter will produce the same, ultra-creamy texture that sweet cream butter will)
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the garlic on a pie pan and drizzle with the oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper, and roast until the garlic is very tender and golden brown, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- When cool enough to handle, squeeze the head to release the cloves into a small bowl. Use a fork to mash the garlic until smooth.
- Place the potatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt in a medium pot and cover with water by 1-inch. Bring to a vigorous boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the water off in a large sieve or colander. Return to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, for just 1 minute, then reduce the heat to low, add the mashed garlic and butter, and mash using a hand-held masher.
- Add the cream and continue to mash and stir and mash, until thoroughly combined and the desired consistency is reached – the ideal texture is very smooth, and absolutely no lumps allowed, and the mash will form a peak when a fork is inserted into the mix and lifted back out.
- Season to taste, with salt and pepper, and serve your Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes right away while still nice and very warm.