British Bubble and Squeak is a handy recipe to use up lots of good leftovers. There are lots of variations on the dish, but this Bubble and Squeak is pretty much mainstream traditional. It uses leftover cabbage, potato mash, and Brussels sprouts. You can also add in some leftover (already cooked) meat if you like.
Authentic British Bubble and Squeak Recipe-
- 1 tbsp. butter (you can also use poultry fat – duck and goose add a really nice flavor to this dish)
- 4 strips of bacon rashers, chopped and fried til tender, but not crispy
- 1 small white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 15-20 cooked Brussels sprouts, chopped
- 14-16 oz. leftover mashed potatos
- Melt the butter (or fat) in a skillet. When it gets good and hot, add in the rasher bacon.
- When the bacon starts to brown, add and stir in the garlic and onion. When the onion and garlic become nice and aromatic, add and stir in the Brussels sprouts. Cook, stirring until everything is well incorporated and cooked through. About 5 minutes or so should do it.
- Lastly, add and stir in the mashed potatoes. Stir everything together thoroughly, and then flatten the mixture to cover the base of the pan and be an even thickness all over.
- Cook long enough for the mixture to solidify and brown on the bottom, then turn it over with a spatula. Cook long enough for the other side to brown nicely. Allow the mixture to color nicely. You will hear the delightful “bubbling and squeaking” as the potato mash cooks in the pan.
- That’s it – you’re done! Slice it into wedges, and server your British Bubble and Squeak !
Note: For more delicious, authentic and traditional British dishes, click here.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)