Savory Southern Skillet Cornbread, the recipe’s name, pretty much spells it out, what this yummy treat is. Unlike the Northern, “Yankee” cornbreads, which are typically sweet and have a cake-like texture, Southern Soul Food style cornbread is savory – not sweet. Also, it is almost always made with all corn meal, not a combination of corn meal and flour. And this Savory Southern Skillet Cornbread also calls for white corn meal – which is common in Southern style cornbreads, but rarely found in the cornbreads of the North.
Savory Southern Skillet Cornbread Recipe-
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup white cornmeal
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 6 tbsp. melted unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 tbsp. bacon drippings
You will want to have (if at all possible): a 9″ or 10″ bare cast-iron skillet, for best and most authentic results. Second best alternatives are a metal cake pan, or a Dutch oven, uncovered.
- Place the bacon fat in your bare cast iron skillet and put the skillet into your oven. Turn the oven on to 400° Fahrenheit, with the skillet inside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, beat the buttermilk and egg and until well combined; transfer the liquid ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients, and mix them together. Then, add and stir in the melted butter.
- When your oven is at 400°, take out the skillet, exercising caution – remember to wear kitchen mittens, that skillet will be piping hot!
- Pour the cornbread batter into the skillet, making sure it is evenly distributed.
- Place the skillet back into the oven, and bake for about 20 minutes, or until you see the edges beginning to brown. Do a toothpick test: Stick a toothpick into the center of the bread – if it pulls out clean, your cornbread is done.
- Allow your Savory Southern Skillet Cornbread to rest for 15-20 minutes in the skillet before slicing it into wedges and serving. Spread some butter over the top of each freshly cut warm wedge.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)