Florida Key Lime Pound Cake is as All-American as you can get. A truly original American dish is the Key Lime Pie, made with limes from the Keys at the southern tip of Florida. And this recipe is an outgrowth of the Key lime popularity, enjoying the delightfully tangy-sweet flavor in this Florida Key Lime Pound Cake.
Florida Key Lime Pound Cake Recipe-
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed Key lime juice (important and essential ingredient! No other limes in the world have the same distinct flavor as Key Limes)
Key Lime Glaze
- Preheat oven to 325°. Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla, lime zest, and lime juice. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch (12-cup) tube pan.
- Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack.
- Prepare Key Lime Glaze by whisking together powdered sugar, fresh Key lime juice, and vanilla until smooth.
- Immediately brush over top and sides of cake. Cool your Key Lime Pound Cake completely (about 1 hour in the fridge) before serving.
- Florida Key Lime Pound Cake is great (and traditionally served in America) with some freshly brewed, strong, dark blend coffee.
Note: This recipe is just one of dozens, taken from our Classic All-American Desserts pages!