We will soon be launching a new page on Lebanese Cuisine. This Lebanese Meat Pie Recipe, is an example of many delicious dishes to come! Lebanese meat pies are scrumptious flat bread pies, topped with spicy ground meat. In Lebanese parties, these meat pies and similar pastries are often served as Hors D’oeuvres and appetizers, but in smaller, bite-sized, forms.
Lebanese Meat Pie Recipe-
For the Meat Topping-
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (less than 8% fat)
- 1 large red onion, peeled and chopped fine
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and chopped rough
- 1 large ripe tomato, peeled and chopped fine
- ¾ cup pine nuts
- 3 tbsp. Pomegranate Molasses
- 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional)
- ½ cup of finely chopped parsley leaves
- 2 tsp. Lebanese 7-spices
- 1-2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- white onion slices, for garnish
For the Pie Dough-
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. yeast
- 2-¼ cups warm water
- 1-¼ tsp. salt
For Making, the Pie Dough-
- Melt the yeast in ½ cup of warm water along with 1/8 tsp. sugar.
- Place all dough ingredients into your food processor, and knead for a few minutes until a dough forms.
- Allow the dough to rest for 20 minutes while you prepare the meat fillings.
For Preparing the Spicy Meat-
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high flame.
- Sauté the ground beef, stirring and chopping with a wooden spoon, until well browned.
- Add and stir in the red onions and garlic, and sauté until softened and fragrant.
- Add and stir all the other ingredients (except white onions), reduce flame to a simmer, and cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring often.
For Baking the Pies-,
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When the dough is ready, form it into rounds 8 inches in diameter and ⅓ inch thick.
- Place rounds on a flour-sprinkled baking tray.
- Spread 4 tablespoons of meat topping evenly on every round.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until dough turns slightly golden.
- Garnish each pie with sliecs of white onion.
- This Lebanese Meat Pie Recipe can be served hot along with any two or more of the following condiments: additional cayenne pepper, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and/or Tabasco sauce.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)