This Ayam Ungkep recipe is a Javanese specialty dish of spiced and deep fried chicken. The chicken pieces are pre-cooked in spices before being deep fried. The Javanese consider it as a great party dish. Try some. You will surely want to use this Ayam Ungkep recipe for your next party!
Ayam Ungkep Recipe-
For the Chicken-
- 1 whole chicken (about 2-1/2 to 3 lb.), cut into 8 pieces
- 3 stalks lemongrass, bruised
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 16 oz. coconut water
- vegetable, oil, for deep frying
For the spice paste-
- 10 shallots
- 8 large cloves garlic
- 1” piece ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 1” piece fresh galangal root, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Use a mortar and pestle to grind the spices into a smooth paste.
- Place chicken, spice paste, kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass and coconut water into a cooking pot. Bring to a vigorous boil. Cover the pot, reduce flame to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes, or until chicken pieces are tenderized.
- Drain the chicken now, so they are dried in preparation for deep frying. (Note: if you want to store the chicken at this point, to serve some other time, you can. They can be frozen for up to 1 week, and also keep well for several days in refrigerator)
- Heat enough oil in a large, deep cooking pot for deep frying. When the oil is sizzling hot, lower chicken pieces in, and fry until the skin is golden brown and crispy—about 3 minutes should do it—because the chicken has already been cooked.
- Serve your Ayam Ungkep while hot, with rice and a vegetable side dish.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)