Baobab Ice Cream Supreme is outrageously delicious. It also is nutritious, as the Baobab fruit in it is considered one of, if not the best superfruits on the planet!
Baobab Ice Cream Supreme Recipe-
- 1 vanilla bean, or the equivalent in pure vanilla extract
- 14 oz. whole milk (you can use 2%, but hey – this is ice cream, okay? I say go for it!)
- 10 oz. heavy whipping cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 7 oz. white sugar
- 4 tbsp. baobab powder
- In a large cooking pot, combine the cream and milk.
- Using a sharp knife, slice open the vanilla bean lengthwise, and scoop the seeds out, adding them into the mixture. Bring mixture to a rolling boil, then take the pot off the burner and allow to rest.
- In large mixing bowl, beat together the egg yolks and sugar until the mixture is fluffy.
- Stirring constantly, pour the hot milk mixture into the bowl with the sugar and egg mixture.
- Now pour the entire mixture back into the cooking pot, place the pot back on the burner, and heat to 185 F (85 C). IMPORTANT! Do not boil the mixture at this stage—your ice cream will turn out too “eggy”.
- Once the mixture is properly heated, add in the baobab fruit powder and stir well, until completely dissolved.
- Now pour the mixture into another, clean bowl, and cool it down. A good way to expedite this step is to place the mixture-containing bowl inside another, larger bowl, and surround the inside bowl with cold water and ice.
- Ideally, you have an ice cream maker appliance. If so, you are now ready to pour the mixture into it and simply follow the manufacturer’s instructions. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, and wish to purchase one, you can do so in our online store. Go HERE to find it. Or, you can follow the rest of the steps as follows.
- Once the Baobab Ice Cream mixture is well cooled, pour it into a container suitable for freezing, and place it in the freezer.
- Check on the mixture after 20 minutes or so, to see if it is starting to ‘set up’. As soon as the setting up process starts, take it out of the freezer and either stir vigorously by hand, or beat with an electric mixer if you have one. This is important, so that the mixture doesn’t crystallize. Put it back in the freezer for another 5 to 6 minutes, then take it out and stir/beat it some more. Keep repeating this process until the mixture has solidified to the point where it will hold a ball shape when spooned or scooped out.
- Then chill, relax, and enjoy your authentic, Angolan, Baobab Ice Cream Supreme!
NOTE: This Baobab Ice Cream Supreme dessert recipe is taken from our Angolan Cuisine page. For more great dishes from Angola, click here.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)