Chicken with Chipotle Sauce TexMex Style is a classic Southwest American dish. A superb blend of spices, herbs, and a special Mexican cheese melted into the sauce makes this a meal to long remember.
Chicken with Chipotle Sauce TexMex Style Recipe-
- 3 lb. chicken legs and thighs, skins on
- 3/4 cup milk
- 7 oz. chipotle chiles, canned in adobo sauce
- 8 large cloves garlic, peeled and chopped fine
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp. herb and garlic butter
- 1-1⁄2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 8 oz. freshly grated Aged with Chili Queso Cotija cheese (first and best choice – El Queso Monterrey Jack cheese is a good second-best choice)
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven your 350 to degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly oil a baking dish, lightly salt the chicken pieces and place them in the dish, and bake for 25 minutes.
- While the chicken bakes, using an electric blender or food processor, combine the canned chipotles (with the adobo sauce), milk, garlic, onion powder, cumin, and salt (to taste) and puree until smooth.
- In a large skillet over medium flame, heat the butter and flour, stirring and blending until smooth.
- Now add in the sour cream and heavy cream, and whisk together with the creams until completely smooth.
- Next, raise the heat to medium high. Add and stir in the pureed chipotle mixture, and stir continuously until the mixture comes to a rolling boil and becomes thickened. Take the skillet off the burner.
- When the chicken has finished baking, take it out of the oven and drain off the fatty juices. Keep the chicken in the baking dish.
- Now pour the chipotle sauce over the chicken and top with the freshly grated queso cheese.
- Place the smothered chicken back in the oven and bake for some 20 minutes or so, or until the cheese has melted into the sauce and is starting to turn golden brown.
- To serve your Chicken with Chipotle Sauce TexMex Style, place a couple pieces of the chicken in each serving bowl (or high walled serving plate), ladle a generous portion of chipotle sauce over the chicken, and garnish with a sprinkling of chopped fresh cilantro. Have the extra sauce on the table in a gravy boat or lipped pouring bowl, for people who want more sauce.
Note: This recipe is taken from our American TexMex pages.