Polish Makowiec is a delightful dessert. A sweet cake roll with a poppyseed filling, Polish Makowiec is sure to delight you, your family and friends after a sumptuous, savory Polish meal – or any meal for that matter!
Polish Makowiec Recipe-
For the Dough-
- 4 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup warmed milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp. melted butter
For the Filling-
- 8 oz. poppyseeds, rinsed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp. honey
- 1 egg white, beaten lightly, plus 1 more egg white, unbeaten
To Make the Dough-
- In a large mixing bowl, combine together the sugar, salt and yeast.
- Pour the milk into the bowl, and stir until dissolved.
- Whisk in 1 cup of flour; cover the bowl, and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size – about 15 minutes should do it.
- Now, add and stir in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract.
- Remove from the bowl, and knead the remaining 2 cups of flour and the melted butter into the yeast mixture; add each alternately a little at a time.
- Kneed for about 15 minutes, until the dough is elastic and smooth.
- Place the dough back into a large bowl; cover, and allow to rise until doubled again – about 1 hour should do it.
To Make the Filling-
- Simmer the poppyseeds in a medium-sized pot full of gently boiling water until soft – about 40 minutes.
- Drain the seeds and puree in an electric blender or food processor, for about 4 minutes.
- Place the poppyseed puree into a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add and stir in the sugar, raisins, almonds, butter, vanilla extract, cinnamon and honey.
- Gently cook, stirring often, for about 15 minutes; set aside for now.
To Assemble and Cook the Makowiec-
- Preheat your oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Roll outthe dough into a rectangle measuring 16″ x 12″.
- Whisk egg white in a bowl until it forms stiff peaks, then fold it into the poppy seed filling.
- Spread the filling evenly over the dough, but leave a 1″ border all around the edges.
- Fold the dough lengthwise, three times over, to form a long log shape, then pinch the ends tight to seal.
- Place cake roll on a nonstick baking sheet, then brush it with beaten egg white.
- Place in the oven and bake until it sounds hollow when tapped – about 50 minutes should do it.
- Cool your Polish Makowiec before serving.
Note: For more delicious, authentic and traditional recipes from Poland, click here.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)