Indian Bhuna Gosht is an exceptional curried lamb main course. It is the “Bhuna” that makes it so special. Bhuna consists of pan-frying the lamb along with certain spices. Because the meat is cooked in its own juices, Indian Bhuna Gosht is a deep, richly flavored dish. It will take you a while to prepare, but believe me, the sitting down to eat part at the end of your labor is well worth it.
Indian Bhuna Gosht Recipe-
- 2 lb. lamb chops
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 1 black cardamom pod
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick, about 2″-3″ long
- 6 large yellow or white onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 large cloves garlic, peeled and chopped fine
- 1″ length of fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp. Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. freshly ground turmeric root
- salt, to taste
- 2 large tomatoes, cored and pureed
- 2 tbsp. water
- 4 green chili peppers, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet over medium flame, heat the oil.
- Fry the black and green cardamom pods, cinnamon stick and bay leaves until fragrant.
- Add and stir in the ginger, garlic and onion into the mixture. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking until the onions are a rich, golden brown.
- Season with the Kashmiri red chili powder, salt, cumin and turmeric.
- Add and stir in the tomatoes and continue cooking until you see the oil separating from the gravy – about five minutes should do it.
- Now put the lamb chops into the skillet with the rest of the mixture and increase heat to medium. Continue cooking, stirring until the sauce has created a “glaze” on the outside of the chops, and the meat is cooked about halfway done. This step should take about 20 minutes.
- Next, sprinkle the water over the mixture. Put a lid on the skillet and cook for about another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the lamb is fully tenderized.
- Remove the lid and add the green chili peppers and cilantro leaves. Raise the heat to high and cook for about another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve your Indian Bhuna Gosht while nice and hot.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)