This recipe, Grilled Kangaroo and Vegetables, is taken from our Australian and Aboriginal Cuisine page. Featuring meat from the indigenous-to-Australia kangaroo, this wild game meal is a feast. Grilled Kangaroo and Vegetables is considered part of the “Bush Tucker” segment of Australian cuisine. Have fun sampling some of the great eats from “Down Under”.
Bush Tucker Char Grilled Kangaroo and Vegetables Recipe-
- 18 oz. (500 g) kangaroo boneless leg loin
- native bush river mint (if you can’t find this, you can use spearmint with pretty much the same results)
- freshly ground Australian bush pepper and salt mixture, to taste (must have ingredient)
- 2-4 white potatoes, skins on, and quartered
- 1 dozen pearl onions, peeled and left whole
- 1 zucchini, chopped into large chunks
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. mustard
- ¼ oz. (5 g) freshly ground wattle seeds (another must have ingredient, for authentic Australian/Aboriginal flavor)
- 1 apple, sliced, for serving
- 1 tomato, cored and quartered, for serving
- handful of chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Slice your kangaroo meat into thick sliced fillets.
- Rub each fillet all over with the native bush river mint (or spearmint), and then season them on both sides with bush pepper and salt.
- Grille the fillets to your desired level of doneness.
- Grille the potatoes, zucchini and pearl onions until nicely tenderized – even a little charred is good.
- When the meat and veggies are done grilling, place everything in a large, wide bottomed bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, blend together the mustard, ground wattle seeds and honey, then drizzle the mixture over the char-grilled kangaroo fillets and vegetables.
- So serve, arrange the veggies and fillets in an attractive fashion on serving plates, add some slices of apple and tomato, garnish with a sprinkling of fresh chopped cilantro, and then Chow down on your Bush Tucker Char Grilled Kangaroo and Vegetables!
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)