This Classic American Baked Eggs Spinach and Ham, is not only a dish that is appealing to the eye, it provides an abundance of enjoyable flavors and textures on the palate.
Classic American Baked Eggs Spinach and Ham Recipe-
- 1/2 oz. butter, extra to grease
- 2 oz. baby spinach leaves
- 4 oz. hand-carved cooked ham, finely chopped (Use Virginia Hickory Smoked Country Ham for the best results)
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons cream
- 1 oz. medium sharp Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- freshly ground course sea salt and black peppercorns
- boiling water
- buttered thick sliced sourdough toast, to serve
- red salsa, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180°C).
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan or skillet over medium heat, and quickly sauté the spinach until it becomes wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and drain off any excess liquid.
- Butter 4 deep ramekins and add a small mound of spinach in the bottom of each one, then scatter the ham over the spinach. Crack in an egg in over the ham in each ramekin and season the egg with a little salt, then add a tablespoon of cream to each ramekin. Lastly, sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the top of each one.
- Arrange the ramekins in a roasting tin or baking pan and pour in enough boiling water to come about halfway up the sides of each ramekin. Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 14 to 15 minutes, until the eggs are just well set but the yolks are still bright yellow and runny. Set each ramekin on its own warmed plate, top with some red salsa (optional), add some sourdough toast fingers, and serve your Baked Eggs Spinach and Ham.
Note: This recipe is taken from our Classic American Breakfasts pages.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)